17 Nov 2016
Five Christmas Markets to check out in New Zealand!
The holiday season makes for a super fun time to travel. Who wouldn’t enjoy visiting a new place during the most magical time of the year? It’s especially great when you can discover some unique items to bring back home and gift to loved ones. If you enjoyed my post earlier on Christmas markets in Australia, you’ll also love my favourite picks for New Zealand below!
1) The Underground Market, Wellington (Open every Saturday, year-round) – There’s always something special to find and unique items to collect during the holidays that will make for perfect New Zealand gifts! Situated along the picturesque harbour front of Wellington, this marketplace offers items from the region’s best artisans and craftsmen. Enjoy organic, fair trade coffee as you peruse the markets!
2) Takapuna Beach Christmas Festival, Auckland (10 December 2016) – closing down the road for fun activities for both children and adults, food trucks, gift stalls, live music and a visit from Santa himself, this is the place to be December 10th if you happen to be in Auckland on this particular day. If not, no worries, this Christmas carnival is on every year with growing popularity!
3) Featherston Christmas Market, Wairarapa (10 December 2016) – occurring annually, this is an event that has become a local tradition since 2007! The streets offer visitors a distinct European charm, complete with Christmas decorations, live entertainment and of course an incredible local shopping experience at the Cherry Tree Park. This event runs along the Featherston Christmas Parade, to keep locals and visitors alike in the holiday spirit.
4) The Magic of Christmas, Palmerston North (6-7 December 2016) – Short on time and can’t wrap up your gifts? No problem; one of the unique nuggets of this marketplace is that they offer a gift-wrapping station! So cross off as many people on your gift-buying list—and have their special items beautifully wrapped up! Gift vendors include home furnishings, books and stationary, clothing and accessories, Christmas goodies, and much more. Entrance is NDZ $5 and a portion goes to support Arohanui Hospice.
5) Remarkables Market, Queenstown (every Saturday, 22 October 2016 – 15 April 2017) – Jewellery, candles, throws and a wide range of creative items best describe this marketplace. Complete with live music, an incredible selection of tasty local produce and organic treats, and outstanding 360° mountain views, this outing is a great way to get into the holiday spirit! While the market is open for about six months, Christmas is in full-swing this time of year with Christmas carolers, a visit from Saint Nick himself and vendors offering many holiday novelties.
Written by: Lori (Destination Specialist)
New Zealand during the holidays is a marvelous experience – the summer weather underpins the festivities for the enchanting season amid the country’s many breathtaking scenes and backdrops!